Annette studied at Edinburgh College of Art under W G Gillies whose influence can be seen in her choice of media. Painting mainly in watercolour from her home in Catterline, Annette was influential in the village's artistic success. She introduced Eardley to the village in 1951 and together they set up a studio in the 'Watchie', a disused Customs and Excise watch-house. Annette planted a wild and rambling garden at the Watchie which delighted visitors to the studio. Self-seeded descendants of her plants colonised the cliffs and characterise the village to this day.